Are you frustrated how tedious it is to switch between the “material” viewport shading mode and other modes like wireframe?
Here’s how you can add a keyboard shortcut to allow quick toggling to the material shading.
1. Open up file –> user preferences –>input
2. Open 3d view and then 3d view (global)
3. Scroll down and click “add new”
4. Type wm.context_toggle_enum to the identifier field
5. Type space_data.viewport_shade to the context string field
6. Type WIREFRAME to the upper value field
7. Type MATERIAL to the lower value field
8. Set the keyboard shortcut you desire by clicking on the “press a key” button, in our case we chose Q
Below is a screenshot of the finished settings: