How to keep using port 10080 after many browsers block it as an unsafe port

If you have been doing web development using port 10080 you might have run into some issues recently since many browsers including Chrome and Firefox have decided to add that port to their blocked ports list.

I use a tool called InstantWP for WordPress development and it’s using port 10080 for http by default.

I first researched the option to change the ports IWP is using. It seems like it could be done from the config file which you can open from the “Advanced” tab by clicking “Edit Config File”. In the file that opens you should see a setting called PortOffset. I tried to change that but couldn’t get it to work even after trying many different numbers for the port offset.

I also tried to add a flag into Chrome’s startup parameters by right-clicking the Chrome icon and choosing properties. Then I replaced the value under “target” with the following string:

“C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe” –explicitly-allowed-ports=10080

However that didn’t seem to fix the situation in my case. I still got the same “unsafe port” error from Chrome.

What finally helped was switching to Firefox and performing these steps:

  1. Type about:config to the address bar and click on the “accept the risk and continue” button.

Then paste in this string to the search bar:

network.security.ports.banned.override

Choose “string” as the type (I know, number would seem more logical), click on the + button and enter the port number you want to allow (in my case 10080).

Now you should be able to access applications via that port!

One Reply to “How to keep using port 10080 after many browsers block it as an unsafe port”

  1. Hi, thanks for the tutorials, the Instant WordPress Port 10080 tutorial for Firefox helped me out. I switched to IE after Chrome blocked 10080 and it worked for Port 10080 but I prefer to use FF.

    I’ve been trying without success to update php for IWP … the Help section in IWP gives sudo apk update and sudo apk upgrade but when applied in the ssh terminal I just get “This APK tools is old!” and further information:

    localhost:~$ sudo apk update
    fetch http://dl-cdn.alpinelinux.org/alpine/v3.6/main/x86/APKINDEX.tar.gz
    fetch http://dl-cdn.alpinelinux.org/alpine/edge/community/x86/APKINDEX.tar.gz
    WARNING: This apk-tools is OLD! Some packages might not function properly.
    v3.6.5-44-gda55e27396 [http://dl-cdn.alpinelinux.org/alpine/v3.6/main]
    v3.15.0_alpha20210730-164-gef21f76aab [http://dl-cdn.alpinelinux.org/alpine/edge/community]
    OK: 15647 distinct packages available
    localhost:~$ WARNING: This apk-tools is OLD! Some packages might not function pr
    operly.
    -ash: WARNING:: not found
    localhost:~$ v3.6.5-44-gda55e27396 [http://dl-cdn.alpinelinux.org/alpine/v3.6/ma
    in]
    -ash: v3.6.5-44-gda55e27396: not found
    localhost:~$ v3.15.0_alpha20210730-164-gef21f76aab [http://dl-cdn.alpinelinux.or
    g/alpine/edge/community]
    -ash: v3.15.0_alpha20210730-164-gef21f76aab: not found
    localhost:~$ OK: 15647 distinct packages available

    Upon research someone mentioned about tagging the repository though it appears tagged with my version. Wonder if you ran into this issue at some point. Thanks again for the tutorials.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *